- YouTube provides millions of Creative Commons-licensed videos (among their billions of video collections). The key is filtering them to isolate the Creative Commons-licensed ones.
- The filter sometimes renders incorrect results. That said, remember to double check the license setting of the video. Please also check to see if the video contains any illegal content, such as an unauthorized copy of a TV show.
- If the video is CC licensed, you will see the “Remix this” video button. It takes you to the YouTube video editor that allows you to remix the content of the video and publish it.
Most YouTube videos are released either under CC BY 3.0 or the Standard YouTube License. To learn how to check the license information of a YouTube Video, please see the directions below.
How to find a CC licensed video in YouTube:
- Go to https://Youtube.com
- Type in your search word
- Once the videos appear, you can use the filter to identify the CC licensed ones
- Click on one of the videos that appeared after applying the filter.
- Click “About” > “Show more” to check the license setting. If it is copyrighted with full rights reserved, it will have a Standard YouTube License instead of a Creative Commons license.
Last updated: 05 31 2015